The best brewers make large yeast starters to get their beer fermenting fast. Large populations of active yeast help ensure flavorful beer free of off flavors.
Our large 3000ml Erlenmyer Flask is a great vessel to make a large yeast starter for 5 gallon lagers and high gravity brews. Because it is made from borosilicate glass you can move it from a boil on your gas stove into a cold water bath for cooling, without the risk of cracking. (We do not recommend the use of an electric element. If this cannot be avoided, we recommend using a larger pot as a hot water bath on the stove.) This means you can do the whole process in one container, keeping it simple and helping to reduce the risk of contamination when transferring from one container to another.
Recommended Process for Use of Flask:
It is important for your safety to heat water in the flask with a heat source that distributes heat evenly. Our manufacturer has confirmed that direct heat to the glass can break down its integrity and break if the heat source doesn't distribute evenly.
We recommend using the "double boiler method." This process involves using a boiling water bath on the outside of the flask to heat up the water inside the flask. All you need is a kettle 3 gallons or larger. This process is much safer and efficient. If the flask should break or boil over, your kettle will be there to collect the contents, thus keeping your stove clean and keeping you away from potential harm.
- 3 Liter (3000 mL) size
- Takes a #8 rubber stopper
- Made of Borosilicate glass for strength and resistance to temperature shock
- These are "Student grade" flasks that may have small imperfections or variation in printed capacities
- We recommend using a double boiler for heating
- Packaging: Individually bubble wrapped and labeled
Why make a yeast starter?
We build starters for 3 main reasons. First, to ensure yeast health. By making a starter 1-3 days in advance, you ensure that your yeast is healthy and strong and ready to do its job. Second, to create more yeast. By making the starter you will increase the cell count of the yeast, giving you a better chance of keeping bacteria's and wild yeasts from fermenting your wort. Third, if you are making high gravity beers. If you are making a high gravity beer (1.060+) you will need more yeast to start the ferment faster. High gravity beers will also finish more completely when you pitch ample quantities of yeast.
In the lab world, these flasks are known as "Student Grade". A great flask for making yeast starters!(Student grade is not the highest grade flasks and will have minor defects)
FREE Shipping over $75
Flat Rate $7.95 under $75
- FREE Shipping on all orders over $75 shipping within the contiguous U.S.
- Most in-stock orders ship the following business day.
- Standard ground shipping typically takes 1-3 business days in transit
- please note: we are experiencing delays in some fulfillment centers due to COVID-19 and wildfires.
FedEx / UPS / USPS Shipping:
- FREE over $75*
- Flat rate $7.95 under $75
- 1-3 business days in transit
- Does not require Signature
We're committed to your total satisfaction. You may return your items within 30 days of their delivery. Please follow the instructions below.
- Returns must be in brand new condition.
- Items must be returned in their original packaging.
- Items must include all parts, pieces, and manuals.
- Items cannot be assembled or used in anyway.
Restocking fees are typically not applied, however, in some cases a restocking fee not to exceed 30% will be withheld from your returned merchandise total. Shipping costs are non-refundable.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
* Free Shipping only applies to orders over $75.00, shipping within the contiguous United States.